Blackberries were on sale at Sprouts last week, so I grabbed 10 little boxes hoping I could make a few jars of blackberry syrup. Then I got sick. Almost a full week of them sitting in the fridge didn't help their juiciness, but I put my girls to work. I was still weak from not eating for 2 full days, so I did some sitting and monitoring. I guess that's
Perk #3 of being sick - sitting while training my children and delegating tasks.
The Ball Blue Book of Canning Recipes didn't have a recipe for blackberry syrup, but since the jam recipe is the same for all the berries, I decided to just swap berries in the blueberry syrup recipe. If I could follow directions, maybe I'd be able to better make syrup, but instead of a sugar syrup that gets syrupy, I put the sugar in the berries (AGAIN). I didn't learn my lesson last year with the blueberry syrup, but I made a note in the recipe book this time. After hours and hours of stirring and straining blackberry juice, we ended up with half the pints it says we'll end up with - 2. Jim says it's the best syrup ever, so I guess it was successful. It's also very thick, since I didn't follow the directions properly, but I would have preferred 4 pints. The girls did a great job and I felt like I did a good job of training today!